TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best AMC for F.A.S.T./ Pure Stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by n2ojoe n2ojoe wrote:

Yes, clearance is the issue to the passenger side strut rod bracket so a standard log manifold was used on that side. 

This brings up another point. I've seen both high flows on an SC360 and Machine manifolds on an AMX at the Pure Stocks. They aren't "quite" as strict as some may think at this race. Obviously the intent and goal is to bring a car with all the correct parts, but the organizers also realize that these cars are 50 years old and have had rough lives and many swapped parts. They are happy to have more AMC's attend, after all it is just for fun. I like the original vision of the class like Mr. Boden had intended, have fun while tuning the most out of the stock parts as you can.

Thanks for clearing up the classes and their origins above Joe Clap

What AMC car(s) would you recommend for either class?

I think the Hornet looks great on paper (especially if they allow the passenger side free flow), but hooking up the skinny 14" tires in that narrow wheel well would be the problem I think.

The Humpy Javelins have a ton of tire room, and had factory E60's,
 but they also weigh a lot more.

Man,
 one more year of 2-seaters and we would have had the best of both worlds. Smile

(or two more years of 2-seaters to get to the 904/727's)
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by scramboy scramboy wrote:

My choice would be a 72 Base Javelin with a 401, utilizes free flows, 727 trans, has a huge wheelwell for traction, lighten it up as much as possible and go for it!

Before someone else chimes in....
there's no Base 72's WinkLOL

Just a technicality,
  all 72's were either SST's (the new base level), or AMX's.

I think you are right about that year and setup being the sweet spot tho
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 11:17am
The winner in Javelin bodies would be early 71 4spd high compression 401 base Javelin, or just get the lightest and fastest, a 390 AMX with a cross ram setup. Both running 3.91 gears.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

The winner in Javelin bodies would be early 71 4spd high compression 401 base Javelin, or just get the lightest and fastest, a 390 AMX with a cross ram setup. Both running 3.91 gears.

Do you think that they let you run a cross ram in pure stock?
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 11:37am

In real life those would be two very potent stock(ish) AMC's,
 but I'm guessing the rules would want cast iron intakes on our cars since no AMC was delivered with anything else.

Like what just happened with the R4B being allowed in some "stock" classes, then disallowed shortly after.

I haven't read the Pure Stock rules lately, but I think high compression in a later model Javelin wouldn't be a problem.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Do you think that they let you run a cross ram in pure stock?

If the dealer installed it, if that is impossible, then run Jerseyjoe's car. Came off the assembly line set to be on the track. I am sure there are a few GM COPO cars in the entry list.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 12:05pm
From the pure stock homepage link I posted:

"For 1955 to 1975 musclecars built in United States and Canadian assembly plants with a minimum warranty of 12 months and 12,000 miles. Factory lightweight cars built for sanctioned drag racing and dealership-built/modified cars are not eligible to participate. Cars must be factory equipped with a minimum of four-barrel carburetion, dual exhaust, and other factory-installed equipment that promotes a high-performance intent and image."

Remember, these cars are very stock. Original carburetor and air cleaner housing, cast intake, unported heads, mild cam, cast exhaust manifolds.

A few of the "pure stock" allowed modifications are 1.5 points of compression over stock, 2.5" max diameter full exhaust, any rear gear ratio, one size tire over stock, points ignition conversions that fit inside the factory distributor, very mild cam changes (must make 15" vacuum at idle), 1 inch taller air cleaner element is allowed.
EDIT:
That's why I feel AMC's are better suited for "pure stock" racing instead of "F.A.S.T." class. Even though you could max out cubic inch, compression, cam profiles, etc in "F.A.S.T.", you still need to get the air in and out of stock carbs and manifolds (everything still must look stock externally). We never had big flowing external accessories to support big power internals.

Edited by n2ojoe - Oct/20/2018 at 12:39pm
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 12:24pm
I think the killer is that AMC used the same exact passenger car V8's they'd push a big Ambassador, or Wagoneer around with in their "performance" models.

In pure stock, 'performance' AMC's have to compete stock for stock with other brand cars that had bigger engines, Holley carbs, aluminum intakes, special high flow exhaust manifolds, solid cams, and application specific high flow cylinder heads designed as a total package.

AMC does very well and holds it's own once you level the playing field,
 but keeping the small carb, small cam and passenger car manifolds (as good as they are) must make it tough in a stock class.
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 12:38pm
You treed me on my edit lol.

A few of the guys on this board run very well and hopefully they will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Dan Jensen has the quickest AMC pure stocker right now, a base 71 Javelin 401 auto that has been 12.70's I believe. Larry Waymouth's SC360 has run 12.90's, Rich Rinke's Scrambler has run 12.90's, Bob Witt and son have an SC360 that goes bottom 13's and a Scrambler that I saw 13.20 out of in September. My 70 AMX 390 4 speed has been 13.37. Rich Corsello's 68 AMX has been 13.40's.

Just to give you an idea of what's out there.

Edited by n2ojoe - Oct/20/2018 at 1:41pm
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 12:58pm
I think for pure stock that just about anything is good, when compared apples to apples. They won't compete with the serious machines for all of the reasons above, but in the real world of cars that ran in the 14's and 15's back in the day we should do fine. COPO cars, 429 SCJ's, 440 six packs, etc we just don't have the parts or the cubes from the factory. My vote would go with an early hi compression 71 Javelin 401 4 speed, though any of the cars listed by N2O joe would work just fine!

For FAST racing, then the 72 Javelin 401/727 would be the one to have. The carb and intake can be hogged out somewhat, same with the exhaust. I would figure 600 hp out of that with the right talent and lighten the car to within an inch of it's life and you should be reasonably competitive.

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic