TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

best AMC for F.A.S.T./ Pure Stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 7:54am
Thanks for the link, made for a good read. I wish we had some interesting race classes like that down here in Australia. Seems like there is some scope for fancy cam grinding if you want to take cheating to the next level. Like most things, if you start punching above your weight, I'm assuming questions would soon be asked.

I would be out on the paint and appearance requirements, where I would fail miserably wothout even getting into other modifications, "The car must have a presentable appearance. No primered areas, mismatched paint, or large rust-holes alloweed", the rust holes really aren't that big. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

The flow conversion is the square root of the delta P, so 430 @ 1" hg is 527 @ 1.5" hg.

This is correct (of course).  Whenever I say this carb is rated at 527 CFM the stories and excuses start on how it's 600 CFM or more.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I would think "pure stock" would include all "group 19" options as this is factory and warranty approved. Reading the rules it looks like if it is a "factory approved" option, regardless of who installed it then you would be good.
If this is the case, I'd go for the 1970 Javelin 390 or 360.
I like the AMX but the Javelin gives a better off line start, personal preference.

Group 19 parts, even just an R4B, voided essentially your entire warranty- including powertrain- but also steering and suspension!  There is a paper from AMC to the dealerships stating this.
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

The flow conversion is the square root of the delta P, so 430 @ 1" hg is 527 @ 1.5" hg.

This is correct (of course).  Whenever I say this carb is rated at 527 CFM the stories and excuses start on how it's 600 CFM or more.

Wow, this makes the ET's of the pre 1970 Pure Stock AMC's even that much more impressive to me!
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 4:29pm
I put all the carbs on the flow bench. My bench is not big enough to properly flow a carb - for that you need a vacuum cleaner with a direct connection to the electrical powerplant and enough suction to vacuum the roof off the building - but I could turn it wide open and measure a delta p so I had a comparison between carbs. The 70 up Motorcraft flows more than the AFB. Both are smaller than a 600 Holley. Also learned aftermarket carb flow ratings are a marketing game and not really related to how big the carb is.

BTW 1" is still a fairly high pressure drop for serious performance, but not bad. Those AMC engineers had a clue.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Oct/22/2018 at 4:32pm
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 5:06pm
Back in the infancy of stock musclecar drags, the late 80's, early 90's, I used to race my 71 Javelin AMX 401 automatic 3:54 gears. It was stone stock, never touched or messed with.

The first event I went to was the best, 1987's Supercar Showdown at Quaker City in Ohio. The cool thing about this event was that every car that wanted to race had to drive from the host hotel to the track, something like 40 miles, took about an hour. Everyone went in a big parade, intersections were closed off, & we went on both the 4 lane highway & 2 lane back roads. They had spotters at different locations taking down your car # to make sure everyone made the drive, no shortcuts allowed. NO trailers allowed!! I would guess there were 75 to 100 cars, some really unusual stuff like an early 60's Mopar with the Sonoramic dual quads set way out, a Hurst 300 Chrysler, a 64 Olds 442 & lots that I have forgotten. There were only a couple regular racers there, everyone else was pretty new to drag racing. Just a super fun time all around. The same event held at the same track in later years was OK, but never as good as the first year it was at Quaker City.

I also ran a few races that Musclecar Review magazine put on called Musclecar Nationals. The races I went to were at Norwalk. That was a really nice event, show on Saturday, race on Sunday.

Anyways, people want to know what it ran. First time out, really no idea what I was doing it ran 15 flat. As I got more experience, different tires, & some ignition tuning, it ran a best of 14.31, I think the MPH was 98 or 99. Most of the time it would be 14.50's. This car is probably fairly heavy as Javelins go, lots of small options that add weight. Front spoiler, console, fold down arm rest, vinyl top, 15 X 7 wheels all add a few pounds.

Just a couple of pics for you.

nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 12:01pm

I put all the carbs on the flow bench. My bench is not big enough to properly flow a carb - for that you need a vacuum cleaner with a direct connection to the electrical powerplant and enough suction to vacuum the roof off the building - but I could turn it wide open and measure a delta p so I had a comparison between carbs. The 70 up Motorcraft flows more than the AFB. Both are smaller than a 600 Holley. Also learned aftermarket carb flow ratings are a marketing game and not really related to how big the carb is.

BTW 1" is still a fairly high pressure drop for serious performance, but not bad. Those AMC engineers had a clue.

Do you still have the Data from that test, Ken? I had the link saved to where you posted it on Fran's forum years ago, but since his forum went down, I lost the info. I wish I'd screen shotted and saved it.

All these Carb recommendations are always coming up on AMC forum esp FB (where's there's some real hopeless cases) and people thinking a Edelcrap 600 and Holley 600 are equal, let alone standard old series Holley and the HP/Avengers are equal as well, give me a headache.

You're testing, plus track testing has proved that wrong. A few other sources have touched on it as well. But I haven't seen them do the testing you did.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 12:05pm
That was a sweet event, Scott. A couple buddies of mine used to run it. One won his class the one year with his 68 GTO. Stock Big Block.

I have a Car Craft here somewhere a guy was running a Green 71 SST Jav with a 401. Can't remember his name, I think he won his class.
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2018 at 11:32am
Thanks for sharing the story and pictures Scott! That sounds like it was a fun event.

Here is a little press from this year's Pure Stock drags-

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/11-second-muscle-cars-2018-pure-stock-drags/

Edited by n2ojoe - Nov/10/2018 at 8:20am
racerM95 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerM95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2019 at 3:48pm
I would do a 360 Hornet Hatch Back, was a better platform than say Gremlin.... The areo (if you could call it that), was better. Remember they used them for Pro Stock...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic