TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

MSD 8523 Dist with Factory Tach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kenward View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD 8523 Dist with Factory Tach
    Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 4:41pm
Hi Greg,

I've read your post with great interest as I have an MSD 8519 in the box, an MSD Blaster 3 coil 8223, and MSD 8.5mm wires, all ready to install.  Several other posts indicate that I also need an MSD 6 or 7 series ignition box.  Is that the case and if so, how is that wired into your diagram.  I was under the impression/misimpression that the components I have already purchased would do the trick.  Please let me know whenever you get a moment.

Kind regards,

Ken 

Trans Canada View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 9:42am
Amc 1970 390.  Sorry forgot to mention 
Trans Canada View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trans Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 9:41am
Well I’m reading and have copied Msd / factory Tach wiring diagram  that has been drawn 
Have a couple question 
The car I bought a few years ago Had a  HEI install distributor
I’m putting in a MSD RTR

double yellow wire on the (I)sided
 whoever wired
 in the past Some one removed these wires
They do not exist anymore!
So can use the pink and yellow installed on the (I) terminal
As they are tied together anyways???

You also show 9 volt resistance wire . - Tach  + coil
Or did you install a resistor in-line to accomplish this??

Any suggestions  welcome :)
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Someassemblyrqd Someassemblyrqd wrote:

Armand - I’d like to hear from you on  your engine start/run results by you plugging in the new rtr dist in your Javelin with its current wiring.  Would like to see if you different results (runs smooth, no popping/shuddering) or the same as I experienced thus you needing to follow my wiring.

Pls let us know.  Thx. Greg

Someassemblyrqd,

I'll try to keep that in mind. This is one of those projects that drags on and on cuz so much other stuff gets in the way. Right now the problem is, it's way too cold in my shop.
Anyway the plan is to break in the cam on an engine run stand. So I'll wire it pretty simple, just to start and run. I may try to borrow a suitable tachometer if I can. But I'll try to keep you updated.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
092171michael View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 092171michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 3:17pm
Holy bajesus, it worked!! Someassemblyrqd, thank you so much for the drawing.  And then dumbing down the directions so that I could understand it. I really appreciate it, let me know where to send the check.  Wink The car starts and shuts off, and the tach works.  I tried to spiffy up the wires a bit. Now, only 2 more problems(maybe 3) I didn't know if I should ad on to this thread, or start a new one. So I'll start a new one, it will be titled, ALT Light Still On. Help me if you can. Thanks again.
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 3:16pm
Armand - I’d like to hear from you on  your engine start/run results by you plugging in the new rtr dist in your Javelin with its current wiring.  Would like to see if you different results (runs smooth, no popping/shuddering) or the same as I experienced thus you needing to follow my wiring.

Pls let us know.  Thx. Greg
Greg E.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2019 at 10:19am
I purchased a second MSD 8523 about four years ago for use in a fresh build 70 390.

I just opened the box to verify.

It has the grey wire, so I'll be using Someassemblyrqd's wiring method probably.

What I find interesting is the popping and sputtering some one posted about earlier. That almost sounds like a way out of time setting problem. Like 180 degrees out of time.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 2:14pm
Probably no help, this worked with MSD Box and a UniLite Conversion,
which obviously is different than a Magnetic PickUp, HAL Effect, or HEI

Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 1:39pm
Roger - agree, good discussion.  With my ‘70 AMX, I wanted to stay with the original wiring and electrical system schematics.   I initially used Armand’s (White70) wiring diagram for my MSD 8523 dist.  because of common wiring - it didn’t work, hard starting, popping, shuddering, etc.    I believe this due to Armond’s dist being 10years older, no grey wire for tach wave signal, which my dist has.  I believe this is why other current 8523  dist owners are experiencing hard start/run issues.

By adding a discreet 12v line to the dist tied into the ignition wire before the pink resistance wire, I accomplished the best of both old and new:  modern 12v dist, integrated into the original ‘70 wiring, no tach upgrade expense.

Thanks. Greg

Greg E.
Bucks AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2019 at 9:10am
To solve the issue of can't shut car off go to this link (MSD Tech Support) and click the Engine Run On tab. Follow directions, it worked for me. I have the factory tach as well as an Autometer tach and both are operational with the RTR distributor.
1970 AMX 390 4spd Golden Lime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic