TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Bluetooth tach conversion / adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 11:14am
Here's a short video of the dimming. It's a little glitchy simply due to the crusty nature of the potentiometer in the headlight switch, but overall much better than stock.

The dimmer puts out about 9.3V to 11V, and the Arduino code looks at that range and brightens or dims the LEDs proportionally via pulse width modulation. Generally, if you use LEDs inserted in place of the standard dash light bulbs they won't dim correctly, as the voltage range coming from the dimmer is just too narrow to make a visible difference, so you end up with just on or off pretty much.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Dec/21/2018 at 11:18am
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 3:33pm
Any info on making these available for sale?

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 7:37pm
Apparently it's different with the later switches as it's not too bad with my Eagle - granted, not ideal like your system, but it does dim some before off. But I actually like them full bright anyway.

Will be watching progress on this as I do have plans for the 73, ignition and lights.

Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2019 at 6:05am
Right now I've got the front of the engine all torn down for a water pump swap, ac, radiator, and electric fan upgrade, Once that's back together I'll be able to put some driving time in and see how the tach works. 

Sorry it's drug on so long, I'm kind of slow and deliberate.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2019 at 12:55pm
Update on this project:

The tach works well, as do the dash lights. But this winter I'm going to revamp the circuit completely to use beefier mosfets for the LEDs just for added safety margin, and to take advantage of the relatively new Arduino BLE nano. It's a nano with built in bluetooth, designed for short distance applications (perfect!).

I'll update you guys as it progresses. Once it's all done and working we can contract a build house to do the boards and populate them. 
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 9:02am
Ggreat work!
Frank Swygert
bdatkins View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 6:48am
Great write up!  I am actually working on a similar project for my jeep CJ.  Any chance of your sharing the arduino code?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 12:08pm
Certainly! PM me your email address and I'll send it over to you. It's a little odd due to the back and forth that goes on between the Arduino and the Android app, and could probably use a little cleanup of course, but fundamentally does the job.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 11:16pm
Hey that's really great! How'd I miss this thread when you started it?

You could add another MOSFET, and a little speaker, and re-create in software the MSD adapter buzz for those who miss it! lol

Very nice work, and a clean board.

Yeah, OSHpark is great.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 9:06am
Nice work, I'll be interested in buying one when you are ready. My car is still in the early build stage, so I've got time to wait until you are happy.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic