TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I Hate Rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 2:29pm
Burned in but needs detail work.

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 6:32pm
There was a spot on the wheel lip that was brazed poorly so I sectioned in a replacement piece.

Repaired the lower section. Had to fab the trailing edge that mates up with the rocker.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 9:14am
That's gonna be YOUR car when you're done!

-About the leading edge of the front fenders; push starting cars was a lot more common back then.

The evidence for this are the millions of '50-'58 Ford-O-Matic and '59-'66 Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmissions that were specifically made with a rear pump on the tailshaft for this reason; so the cars with an automatic trans. could be push started. (as not having this feature was considered to be a handicap, when compared to a manual transmission)

...so the dings on the leading edge of your front fenders plausibly indicates your car was used as a 'pusher' vehicle; to push start other cars? If so, this could be interpreted as a good sign? (your car would run when the others would not?)

You're doing a great job & I'm enjoying to see all your hard work getting done to repair the car:

'Up with The Machine'

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 7:56pm
Started looking over the driver's doors. All of them need the lower part re-skinned.

What's behind door #1?

What's behind door #2?

Wirebrushed them both down, looks like door #2 is in better shape. There's a bonus on that door as it was never cut for door speakers.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2018 at 6:28pm
Repurposed a section of another junk doorskin for a repair panel.

Taped it to the door then used blue painter's tape to mark a bend line. I'll use a metal brake to make 90 degree bends on the three outer edges.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2018 at 9:22pm
Got the lower skin in place, still needs some tweaking.

I'll need the driver's side rocker in place so I can square the driver's door. Thanks to my friend Tim for letting me cut the rocker off his coffin-nose Matador parts car.

Worked a fold on the trailing edge.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 7:18pm
Tacked the new rocker in place this eve. Need to work the front side where it meets the fender.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 7:12pm
Burned in.

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 7:45pm
You hate rust, but you sure no how to slay it!  Fantastic work.  I'm handy at taking metal apart but not at re-working it so I really enjoy and appreciate seeing the fruits of your labor.  Thanks for sharing.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 8:01pm
I have to say I really admire your work quality and dedication to your project but I have to wonder if it is really worth it.  You will be able to look at your car and say "I did that" and feel very proud but if I was a buyer would I want a car that needed so much restoration?  NO WAY am I knocking your work, 'cause I'm not.  But man, that's a lot of piecing together.  I understand that sometimes people undertake projects because they can be a learning experience and that's reason enough.  Good job anyway you look at it.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic