TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stalling engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalling engine
    Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 7:50am
HELP!!!   I have a 1959 Rambler Super with a six cylinder engine and automatic transmission. I runs and idles fine but when I put it into drive or reverse it stalls out. The revs seem to be high enough when I try to engage the trans. What is going on? Thanks for any suggestions.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 5:20pm
Look down the throat of the carb and see if gas is spilling over from excessively high float (video with sound can work if you can’t tell) aside from that the valves may be too tight or a vacuum leak. Have you tried pulling the driveshaft and sticking it in gear? If it still stalls, then a transmission problem is suggested likely.
apollotaki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2017 at 11:35am
Thanks, I'll check it out.
jimmy joe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2019 at 11:12am
did you find out what was causing your car to stall?
apollotaki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2019 at 7:04am
I advanced the timing a bit and messed with the carb. and it seems OK for now. Thanks for asking.
jimmy joe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 9:50am
I have a 65 rambler american as soon as I shift into forward or reverse the car dies its very frustrating
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 11:49am
You may want to adjust the modulator on the trans. Mine did that and a turn or 2 corrected it.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by jimmy joe jimmy joe wrote:

I have a 65 rambler american as soon as I shift into forward or reverse the car dies its very frustrating

I recommend you check your timing and the idle mixture both hot and cold.  In other words, make sure the choke plate is adjusted properly at the cold setting and then with the engine warms up fully, make sure the choke plate is vertical or nearly so.  Check your base timing with the engine at normal hot idle about 600 rpm or so and the distributor vacuum hose disconnected at the distributor and plugged.  When that is done, make sure the idle mixture is properly set.  Also, check for vacuum leaks.   Low power and poor response to throttle advance are classic signs of a lean mixture or improper timing.  The service manual has all the proper instructions for setting the mixture and timing.  Joe 
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2019 at 10:10pm
that's not a lot of information; but unless something unmentioned that is truly odd is going on, generally that sounds like a top to bottom tuneup is needed. carburetor and ignition work together (or fight each other, lol) especially at idle/low speeds.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

jimmy joe View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2019 at 9:11am
thanks for the information I'll check those things out the car's a 232 engine 2 bbl carburetor and an automatic transmission
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic