TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

I decided to get custom mixed spray can paint for the engine compartment. I thought that might be easier than mixing and spraying. I might regret my decision, but we shall see.

Keep having AMC FUN,
Ollie
I painted the engine bay in my Hornet using 2K paint from spray cans. I had it custom mixed by APS Tower paint. It has held up and still looks great I think you will be happy with it.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 11:01pm
I think you'd be better off with a 904 unless you already have the 727. The 904 is smaller and lighter and probably doesn't use as much power on a small motor.
8pack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8pack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Scott,
The Rambler is a 1966 American convertible. The 232 is 1974 and I think the 727 trans is 1976.

Farna, Mr. Frank is about 99% sure it will fit the tunnel and the tape measure looks good too. It also looks like the transmission mount is mighty close too. Its going in, no matter what I have to do !!

Retired is the best job I have ever had....hehehehehe
Ollie

I like the way you think....
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2015 at 7:42am
To answer a couple questions first, Scott the headers are Clifford Performance. I am going with their AMC package, headers, intake with a 2 barrel Weber and valve cover. Rogue401, yes I agree I would prefer a 904 but I have a 727 that came outa my postal jeep. Pit crew...your engine compartment looks great, thanks for the spray can encouragement.

I worked on the block crack that the machine shop found. It was about 4" long and they completely ground it out. I filled the area with JB Weld and let it set for 2 days. Today I will sand it and start painting the block.

The trans shop called and my 727 is ready to go. He was waiting on the converter. It was supposed to arrive yesterday. I will go pick it up today if in fact the converter did arrive.

More of my ordered parts arrived. I now have all the engine stuff. Only missing my Lokar stuff and transmission cooler, but they have shipped.

Here is my picture link..enjoy
http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970
Playing cars and having fun,
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2015 at 7:41am
My transmission cooler arrived today. I am impressed and feel it will do the job.

It fits where I was planning on mounting it, next to the radiator, drivers side.

The cooler solves one transmission swap issue, as my radiator does not have a trans cooler. The BW was air cooled and the 727 requires a cooler.

Todays plan is get the block and head painted.
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 7:19am
Great Day !!! The Rambler project is moving, pedal to the metal...in the hammer lane !!!

My friend Pete got the motor built and all that's needed now are the accessories installed. I will get the water pump on, but we have decided to put on the rest of the stuff after we have mounted the motor and trans in the vehicle. It will give us more room to work on the installation mods.

The last of my parts are to arrive today, the Lokar stuff. Still waiting on the intake and carb from Clifford.

I am very pleased at the progress. I don't see any problem having everything ready June 28. The Rambler has to attend my Fun Run car event June 27 and then the motor and trans are coming out.

Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2015 at 10:33am
My 727 trans is now back home from the transmission shop. The guy said that the rebuild kit fixed it right up. He reminded me that it is extremely important to have the kickdown hooked up and told me how to adjust it. Have a new torque converter too.

I have been playing with the gas pedal. I have one from a Gremlin and the one I bought from Lokar. Looks as if both of them will work. I am thinking more of the Gremlin set up. I think I can mount it, remove the pedal and use the pedal that’s in the car now. That pedal is mounted to the floor. It looks like I need to come up about 6 to 7 inches higher than the present rod to get a straight pull on the cable. Hard to tell until the carburetor is installed. I will have to make some kind of bracket to hold the pedal.

Got the water pump, thermostat housing, fuel pump, water plugs and spark plugs installed on the 232.

My hardware store did not have the fittings for my transmission cooler. I need to run them down this week.

More pictures

I am getting all excited about pulling the 199 from the Rambler. This Saturday is my Fun Run, so the time is getting closer.
Ollie
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 9:22am
No turning back now...its full speed ahead !!

Saturday was my Veterans Appreciation Fun Run and we had a blast. The weather was not 100% but we did have 23 hardy souls that braved the elements and turned out to honor our Vets.

Got the motor and transmission pulled out of the Rambler and sat into Rapid Delivery, my postal jeep. It looks as if the BW 35 will not be a problem at all. The bell housing clears the hump great. The transmission support cross member looks as if it is almost a direct fit. The member is held on with 6 bolts thru the frame. Just looks like it will have to move back about an inch. All that has been an encouragement for the 727 fitting into the Rambler. Rapid has done it job for awhile and it will be awhile before I return to that project.

Today I have to clean up the Rambler engine compartment and get the drivers seat out. I will start making the changes that need to be done.

Here is my picture link. http://www.ollie.phanfare.com/6919970

Got to go play cars.
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 7:42am
Got a few items cleared up today.

Worked on the speedo cable. It was almost rusted into the housing but I got it all cleaned up and greased with Vaseline. The pulse generator will fit the cable so my electric speedometer will work.

Found out the ballast resistor that has been in the vehicle since I have owned it was not supposed to be there. Removed it and added proper color coil wire.

Played with my gas pedal and have decided to go with the Gremlin pedal bracket. Looks as if my stock gas pedal will work. Had to fabricate a fitting to hook the Lokar throttle cable to it.

Cleaned up the fire wall. Will paint it today.

I have updated my picture link.
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 8:57am
I have been busy working on the engine compartment. The engine compartment wiring is now completed. I had to run new starter wires and add a solenoid.

Just about done with the eng compartment paint. A bit more yellow to paint today. I am sure happy with the spray can paint. Matches great !

My plan was to be ready to put in the motor Monday, but I am not going to make that. I need to get the transmission cooler and the gas pedal completed first. Most of today I will be watching paint dry.

The re=power project is pretty much on schedule. I need to be finished up by the last weekend in July as we have a big car show. NSRA Appreciation Day.

More pics ....
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
  Share Topic