TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 66 American Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ollie's 66 American Convertible
    Posted: May/05/2020 at 9:57am
Time for a update.

Armed with all my new knowledge, thanks guys, I jumped on The Rambler. 

I touched and traced down every wire in the vehicle. Found nothing. The only draw I found was the aftermarket radio as Patrick said. 

I put a full charge on the battery and took it to my buddy Pete and he put the battery tester on it. Checked great. 

Recharged the battery, installed and went for a 20 mile ride so I know it was fully charged.

Three days later, this morning, it cranked right up. Put the battery charger on it and it went straight to green.

Don't know what my issue was ........ there is nothing wrong with The Rambler. It was probably "the nut behind the wheel" that was a bit loose.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2020 at 11:23am
Better yet, connect your multimeter between the negative terminal and cable, and set it to read amps. From memory, you want under .030a (30 milli-amps). Lots of info on car sites and forums on desired amp draw. On these old cars it's not uncommon to see .010 because nothing is "kept alive", save for the clock or aftermarket radio. 

Just pull fuses, or disconnect items until the amp draw drops either an acceptable number, or 0amp.

Edited by 232jav3sp - Apr/30/2020 at 11:25am
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2020 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Originally posted by RSX 401 RSX 401 wrote:

Ollie,

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a way you can check for a draw on the battery. With the Rambler turned OFF, disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Using a volt/ohm meter, check voltage between the battery post/anode and the battery clamp. With the battery disconnected you should not read any significant voltage. If you do, try pulling fuses until it goes away. This should help in tracing down what's causing the draw.

Good luck......

I usually use a plain old 12v test light. You can tell by how bright the bulb is lit shows how strong or weak the draw is. I try to rig it up so I can look out of the windshield after pulling a fuse if it's still on or not. Wink

Many THANKS to both of you !!!  Clap   You guys have added a bit more knowledge to my brain bank !! Approve Trust me..........plenty of room to work with.

I suspect that the problem is in the ignition switch, but we shall see as this project moves on. I know for sure that a bad battery has been eliminated. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by RSX 401 RSX 401 wrote:

Ollie,

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a way you can check for a draw on the battery. With the Rambler turned OFF, disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Using a volt/ohm meter, check voltage between the battery post/anode and the battery clamp. With the battery disconnected you should not read any significant voltage. If you do, try pulling fuses until it goes away. This should help in tracing down what's causing the draw.

Good luck......

I usually use a plain old 12v test light. You can tell by how bright the bulb is lit shows how strong or weak the draw is. I try to rig it up so I can look out of the windshield after pulling a fuse if it's still on or not. Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2020 at 4:26pm
Ollie,

Good luck......
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2020 at 8:34am
WOW...........over a year with no post on The Rambler !!! Time flies to quickly.........

As you all know I have The Rambler  "For Sale" It really needs to a great loving home and be driven as it was built to be. See For Sale section.

Yes, replacing the accessory power wire from the switch to the fuse box last year solved that issue and its been smooth sailing every since.

I did a bunch of battery swapping here lately on the whole AMC fleet. Every vehicle has gotten a new battery in the last nine months. Road Warrior, Rapid Delivery and The Rambler. 

A few days ago I went to move The Rambler and it had a dead battery.  Angry  Cry  Charged it and cranked right up. 

Well yesterday same issue. Prognosis ........there is either a short in the vehicle, drawing the battery down or the new battery has failed. My thoughts.......heck its a Rambler, cannot be any thing wrong with it..........

The battery is now completely disconnect and was fully charged. Tomorrow we will see what happens...

The battery is a group 56 Interstate, 5 year, 2 year free replacement. 

UPDATES to this AMC mystery forth coming........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2019 at 9:13am
Been chasing "Gremlins" in my American electrical wiring.......{haha...AMC Joke !!}

The 69 has been on the lift so I can work on the doors, so as a result I had to move The Rambler everyday. My electrical problem returned, no power to my accessory fuse box.

My ignition switch arrived and I was going to change it out. Removed the switch from the dash and for one last time I put a volt meter on the accessory post and had 12 volts. Nothing at the fuse box.

I pulled out the wire that runs from the switch to the fuse box. When I added the new fuse box a few years ago I had to splice in some additional wire. I could wiggle the connection area and lose continuity thru it. I have found the Gremlin !!!!!!!!!

Replaced the wire and we will see what happens. Big car show in town this weekend so we will be going back and forth Fri, Sat & Sun so it should be a good test. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2019 at 6:33pm
I got all shook up at "The Rambler" today.

Tomorrow is the first local car show of the season in Brookhaven, Mississippi and we are going. I went over to the local gas station to fill up so i would not have to mess with it early tomorrow morning. 

Filled the car and cranked up. I noticed the tack wasn't working...heck...everything on key accessory from the ignition switch is out of commission.  Confused

I came home and got my meter out. I put in two new fuse boxes a few years ago. One is battery hot and the other is key hot. Meter says no juice to the key hot box. Popped out the ignition switch and meter says it's  dead at the accessory position. 

I wiggled the wire and the nut on the terminal was tight but the wire seem loose in the crimped connector, so i replaced it. Turn on the key and had power. Put the switch back in and no power. 

Well i lost interest and worked on "The 69" for awhile.

The switch is still bugging me so i went and played more. This time it worked good. Put it all back together and all is ok now. 

I think the switch is going bad. I see one one E bay so I think i will order it and have one on hand anyway. I hope is makes it to Brookhaven and back tomorrow. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

I think you guys are right on.....The Rambler is jealous !!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe

I did hose off the radiator and we went on a bonding cruise. I told him i would get him a new battery and he is still the #1 AMC here at Ollie MotorSports. There is nothing wrong with the radiator. All was a success !!! 

"The Rambler" and Ollie are big buddies again..........

Here we are both showing off the trophy that we won at the Florida Mopar Show in Ocala, Florida last November. 1st place in the AMC Division. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
It was great to see you again and you very nice driver Rambler. That was the first show we have ever taken our car to that we did not win a trophy. But I am not there to win trophy’s. We are having our show in Daytona March 22-24 spread the word so maybe we can get some new cars and a lot of cars there.
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

looking in the back ground Ollie all those trophy's from that rambler if so im impressed  I love reading your post and pictures keeping a rambler alive is what its all about

You ought to see the "wall of Oliie"! There's more then just Rambler trophies up there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
  Share Topic