TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Ambassador Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 4:14pm
Just got my dash overlay back from Chrome Tech and am very pleased with the results. It was from a Marlin, and they redid it to match the Ambassador. The only problem is with the detail painting - it does not look factory.....no overspray or light spots photo 20141010_190244_zpsxephynbp.jpg
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 4:32pm
Nothing a can of rustoleum and some sand paper won't fix! Looks great.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 5:13pm
Yeah Bob at Chrometech offered to do the detail painting on my Hornet Bezel but I cheaped out and said it would do it myself.  Little did I know how difficult that masking would be.  Mine now looks "factory" with its share of overspray.   The chrome looked stunning though before I screwed it up some.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 5:22pm
You need to add a radio like I did in the Rebel.....

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2014 at 6:52pm
The bezel looks absolutely perfect. If you don't mine me asking, how much was it to have it redone ? My 67 DPL will need the same service once I get the bigger issues out of the way first ! I'll also need to have some of the windsheild pillar and C pillar trim pieces rechromed as well.
One thing leads to another....
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 8:06am
I had the dash overlay, the piece that goes under it that houses the ignition lights and wiper switch and the part that goes under the steering column all re-chromed and detail painted. He also did the 2 side windshield pillars and the 2 side seat bottom covers. (the seat back pieces are cracked so I did not have them done) The cost to do them including shipping was about a thousand bucks.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 8:39am
OK, that gives me a good idea of what kind of costs to expect. I would imagine that a decent percentage of that amount may have gone into the time needed to mask and detail paint the main instrument cluster bezel.
The lower two pieces that surround the steering column are not difficult to detail paint. The pieces that I'll need the most would be the two windshield pillar trims and the two,larger rear C pillar trims on my hardtop. Fortunately these require no detail painting at all. When the time comes to tackle the interior refresh ( I'm not there yet ) maybe I should budget about half that mount for the 4 pillar pieces.
If your bezel is an indication of the quality of his work then I can see that the cost is justified in today's dollars. And to think that I paid $3579 in June of 67( before tax and tags )to take delivery of my special order my car brand new !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 10:26am
I don't know what is more amazing......that you paid under 4 grand for a nice new car, or that you still have it. I will dig out the invoice and see if it has an itemized charge for each piece. The only part of the entire process that I was unhappy with is that I sent in the parts with a 300 dollar deposit, and all of the work was done without a quote and a go ahead from me. I had a little bit of sticker shock when I was told the final price, but it seems that everything that I am doing on the car cost about a thousand bucks. Its a labor of love, not an investment.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 6:49pm
I know exactly what you mean about sticker shock! Even though I special ordered the car new ( I was 20 ) I'be bought and sold it several times. I'm the first, third, fifth and now the eighth owner. When i got it back the last time it had been sitting in a garage since 1983. When I tried to start it the timing chain skipped and bent the exhaust valves and their push rods.Ross Peterson is tearing the engine down and is finding all kinds of stuff that needs to be corrected. While the car cosmetically is still very good (for it's age)apparently the engine wasn't cared for by at least one of the previous owners. The engine will need a complete ring, valve and bearing job plus all the other usual stuff. Several shots of $1000 increments for sure. then comes the trans, the chassis and the brakes. Once that's out of the way then teh body will be addressed and finally the interior which needs the least work. As with yours it's a labor of love and certainly not an investment. In spite of all the various owners, the manuals, my original sales paperwork, owner's card and dealer service receipts were still in the glove compartment! Even the tacky throw pillows were still in the back seat. ( Pictures several pages back in the pictures section )

Good luck with your convertible and I'll sure be following along with you on the forum.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 6:56am
I took an extended lunch break yesterday to take advantage of what looks like the last nice day this year and painted the engine compartment. Just did it in single stage PPG Shop line, enamel and it didn't turn out too bad. Next up is more body work - so far I have found 2 NOS doors, an NOS drivers fender, and a nice drivers quarter panel from a 68 2 door hardtop that should show up in a couple of days. All I need is a decent passenger fender and quarter panel and I will be good to go. Time to fire up the kerosene heater and the MIG welder! photo 20141027_181741_zpso0tuonfe.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
  Share Topic