TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Ambassador Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 9:23pm
Did you put the aftermarket chrome valve covers on or were they already on the car ? I've seen the Edelbrock stamped and cast covers but I've never seen these plain ones. Do you know who made them ?

How about that, all these years later and no one still doesn't make that 343 copper in a spray can. Seymour makes engine Gold and the Alamosa Aqua (EN-66) used from 69 to 72. They used to make EN-75, the non metallic aqua used from 73 until ?/ Not sure if they still do.

BTW, is that a 95 or 96 BMW E46 3 series sitting next to the convertible ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 10:37am
Actually its a 2011 Fusion Hybrid which is a really nice car. Gotta love 40 miles to the gallon

Edited by fhpdave - Dec/18/2014 at 4:01pm
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 12:49pm
When Rick Jones (SC397) did my engine, he used "VHT-SP402 Burnt Copper".  It comes out flat, so he just used VHT's clear-gloss over it... it's almost exactly the right color.

Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 1:39pm
Jegs actually had a can of burnt copper, but I did not buy it. I may revisit the issue before I install the engine - unfortunately it seems that I will have ample time to do soCry. Making the nationals in Cleveland next year is not looking to good right now. I primed the engine before I painted it and might be worried that if i changed the color, then applied clear that I could get some peeling/flaking which would not look good at all.  
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 3:52pm
The copper color looks right on as far as I can remember. But I have two questions. The first, is the thermostat housing supposed to be painted engine color or just be natural aluminum ? My second is about the oil fill tube. I see a ring around the circumference near the top. I've never seen that before. I've never had one of these tubes out of the manifold so i don't know what one is supposed to look like on both ends. Could this be an aftermarket fill tube or is a an OEM fill tube variation or perhaps installed upside down ?   
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
vpugly View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 10:28pm
Good luck. Sounds like a interesting project.
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Could this be an aftermarket fill tube or is a an OEM fill tube variation or perhaps installed upside down ?   

I remember on one my engines, way back when, that the fill tube was in REALLY tight and the only way to get it out was to put a ballpean hammer handle in the filler tube and bend it in several places. The result looked just like the tube on the copper engine. I just turned the tube over and the filler cap covers the groves.

Edited by 70 Donohue 390 - Sep/24/2014 at 7:01pm
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 3:40pm
Primed and painted photo 20141004_155915_zpsa6ihp6pf.jpgWell it may be foolish and will be all covered up, but I sort of color matched some rustoleum type paint  and did the whole interior after I replaced all the seam sealer. It gave my spirit a little pick me up and readied me for replacing the passenger quarter which should be on it's way soon.  
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 3:42pm
 photo 20141004_155915_zpsex1krxwg.jpgDont know why the picture did not post, but here it is.
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2014 at 2:01pm
Dave, it looks good!  I would have painted the floor too.  Its one of those "I know it's there" kinda deals.  You do good work!

Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic