TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone use an MSD 'ready to run'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:36am
DesertAMX:

Your AMX engine compartment looks awesome. Thanks for the pics and wiring diagram !

Thanks-
1970 Javelin SST 390
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 70 Javelin 70 Javelin wrote:

Thanks for posting this question ! This is exactly what I need...... The MSD rtr has been installed, the factory tach has not been hooked up, the distributor connection is direct to the battery with switch and the car is sluggish above 2,000 rpm.

Thanks, I needed that !

70 AMX:  Just thinking about your sluggish comment.   If you are running the distributor out of the box, it has a very conservative mechanical advance setup.  I am running the silver (25deg) bushing and the two blue springs, and 8 degrees inital advance.  I have the vacumm advance to the ported side of Carter (not Eddy) Carb. 33 degrees total mechanical advance, all in by about 3200 rpm.  Engine is .040 over 390 with Eddy aluminum heads, Comp 268H cam, R4B with 625 Carter.  I have great throttle response, plenty of guts, especially over 2000 rpm, and no detonation with 91 oct Arizona gas. 

69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:03pm

Thanks all for the great information.

I just ordered my MSD RTR distributor! Looking forward to how the car works with this 'new' technology. I have points nowEmbarrassed
70 Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2012 at 10:44am
DesertAMX,

MSD rtr installed with 12 v relay power, with "corrected" mechanical advance and is running awesome!

Question about the tach wiring. (Currently, the factory tach is not hooked up to the Blaster coil  and the tach bounces while cranking and is flat with the engine running.)

So, should I install a tach. adapter (relay) into the "yellow" factory wiring from the Blaster coil to the factory tachometer?

Thanks-
1970 Javelin SST 390
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2012 at 12:30pm
Your tach should be inline to the ignition before it goes to the coil so you wouldn't have to wire it up any differently. If you were to buy a digital box like a 6al or something similiar then you would need a "current sensing" tach adapter. You are just running a distributor and an aftermarket coil and will not need anything else in line for the tach. Just don't wire up your tach backwards as it will burn up the tach and if you thought that distributor was expensive....
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 12:00pm
Jeremy0711,

The shop wired up the tach inline to the ignition (as per original wiring diagram) and the tach only blips less than 200 rpm........... someone may of wired it backwards, I don't know-

I took your comment about tach expense to heart and regrettably ordered an aftermarket for the steering column. Cry

Edited by 70 Javelin - Apr/26/2012 at 12:01pm
1970 Javelin SST 390
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 12:18am
Hi 70 Javelin,  I agree with jeremy0711.  The tach does need to be inline (series) with the 12v line before the coil, with the proper polarity per the TSM.  You do not need the tach adapter.  Funny you mention the bouncing, I am trouble shooting a used tach that I bought for another car and it bounces at low RPMS.  Have not torn into it yet, but I am pretty comfortable with component level circuit repairs.  I will let you know what I find.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:48am
DesertAMX-

Thanks-
1970 Javelin SST 390
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2012 at 9:37pm

I have my MSD ‘Ready to Run’ in the car and I have been driving it for a few weeks now. I too am running the silver (25deg) bushing and the two blue springs.

I have it wired without the 30A relay. The car starts and runs great. The tach seems correct up to about 4,000 RPM then gets a little, um, independent??

I’m going to pick up a relay and see if that corrects the higher RPM tach behavior.

Thanks DesertAMX for your help and information!

bob401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 1:09am
I have the ready to run with asummit tach and no issues..  I wish I would have bought it sooner.. I have used prestolites and thsoe were surprisingly okay..  But when I switched to the Motorcrafts and trying TFI .. they would run what i thought was good. then after Ignition module # 10 (over a few years) I switched to the Ready To Run and haven't looked back... God Bless that thing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic