TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 401 from a 75 Jeep J20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 1:30am

Steve, I really do wish you were correct about the V8 lock up deal. AMC was the best thing that ever happened to Jeep IMHO. Emission standards really hurt Jeep in the eighties. First, Jeep used the nailhead case behind the Buick 225 and 350 and AMCs (including the 327) using different but similar 2” adapters from the late sixties to 1973. In '74 they had used up all those surplus cases and started casting a th400 AMC case used in front of the Quadra Trac until 1979. The last of the th400/dana 20 was 1972 or '73. After then all QT. Both my '81 and my '87 cases have 727 cast into them and they are both lock ups. I have had J series Jeeps all my life, both Kaiser and AMC. If you guys really want to believe those Jeep 727s can't be lock ups, I sure will give it a rest. I will surely be humbled if anyone can get me a part number for a 2200 stall converter for a 1987 J10.

Buick nailheads were not used in Jeeps and J-series is correct.

Edited by fandango - Oct/30/2010 at 9:43am
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 10:37am
Some 727 FSJ were lock ups, I believe the tow packages did not get the lock up. Amc used a buick 350 but it was not a nailhead, they did use the nailhead t400 though as said with a cast adapter. Later changing to a specific bellhousing for amc.
I had a 82 wagoneer limited and a 88 grand and both had a lockup converter.

Edited by tsanchez - Oct/28/2010 at 11:26am
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 10:46am
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

If it was built after 1980 it will have a 727 with a lock up torque converter.

I've had an 80 and 87 Grand neither had a lockup. When did they use them?
The 3 that I pulled out were not LU's......and yeah they were 727's in FSJ's...............I suspect its a hit and miss deal........I also have a TH 400 out of a Jeep too
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Well, I have a '81 Grand Wagoneer (FSJ) and a '87 J10 both J series and both with lock up. Have looked for a non lock up at the yards for years and have never found one. You can tell by the input shaft. Is your '87 a J series or a XJ series? Both were available in '87 and were completely different. Not my intention to spread bad info.

If you really want a non-lock up 727, get one out of an older car? like a1972-77 matador?   I have a 1974 727 and its not a lock up.
fandango View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2010 at 2:04pm

Sure glad I found this site and I can edit my posts. That part number is good and I have now seen one with my own eyes. Yes, I do vary much want to build a mild performance 727 for my truck. When I'm towing it's eleven thousand lbs down the road at 5000 foot elevation so the underpowered 360 will be replaced. The 4x4 output and tail housing is a must and the internal parts changed through the years just enough that common year parts seem necessary. This is really a hijack for the op so maybe there is a better thread for me to discuss the other trans parts needed. Again, thanks for your help.

Jeff

Along the Wasatch Front we are held to California's emission standards. That could play into my not finding a non lock up 727.

everything I never wanted to know about torqueflites....
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html

Edited by fandango - Oct/30/2010 at 9:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic