TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC v8 into a CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68AMCAMX :) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC v8 into a CJ7
    Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 5:01pm
i have a spare 390.. etc. im looking to put into my daily driver jeep that is currently a 3spd auto and I6... i have a t-5 as well but i dont think either of them can hold up to the 390... what kind of modification are necessary to do that? exhaust, suspension, motor mounts? and driveshaft length differences between the auto and man?? thanks.
68 AMX 390 4 spd, 65 Rambler American 440 Convertible 290 auto, 85 Jeep CJ7 rebel machine 390 5 speed.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 9:37pm

Is the T5 hooked to a transfer case? If not then I would not look at this route. You got peddle setup to use a stick? I can tell you the frame brackets are different between 6 & 8 and some one does make them Just cant remember who right now. What auto trany you have now? You could bolt the 8 to the auto and not have to mess with any thing else. Now what to worry about?? The auto trany & transfer case, front & rear axles & drive shafts not holding up to the power of the 390.

Now if you have a transfer on the T5 you can measure where the drive shafts are from the front of trany face or bell housing and see if different from the auto.

May want to ask over on Bulltear.com site they are into AMC power & 4x4’s or jeepforum.com

BTW there is a Youtube video of a 360 think CJ7 with a T5 that is a runner.

BTW#2 there is someone running a T5 behind a 390 in a machine, doesn’t drag race but said he drives it hard.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2009 at 8:54pm
Your CJ would have a TH400 1976-1979, or a TF727 or TF998(?) 1980-up.  Either would hold up to a mild V-8.

The 390 crank would have to be machined to fit the auto, or a no-machine adapter fitted (someone sells them).  The flex plate could be balanced to match the 390.  The V-8 will bolt up to the auto trans, same bolt pattern.

The motor mounts would need to be changed to CJ specific V-8 mounts, or aftermarket mounts like the ones from M.O.R.E.  Fuel pump is on the opposite side, some re-wiring, new exhaust, and a bigger radiator if the I-6 has a 2 core.

The Jeep T-5 would be marginal behind a V-8.  Might get expensive to adapt a t-case if it's a Ford T-5.

I'd go find a junkyard 360 from a Wagoneer w/auto if you really want a V-8.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Nov/04/2009 at 8:55pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
jeepdirtboy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdirtboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2009 at 12:26am
304, 360, or 401 will fit with mods, but I dont think the 390 will without machining crank
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2009 at 7:23pm
I went from a 258 to a 360 in my 76 cj-5. The motor mounts on the v-8 are wider than the 6 cyl. I left the stock 6 cyl brackets on my frame and dropped the 360 in to check it out. The motor mounts have one bigger stud towards the engine and two smaller studs toward the frame. When i dropped it in, only the two lower studs on the motor mounts matched up with the holes for the upper studs on the frame brackets. Simple fix.....take some 1.5" angle iron, drill a hole in it for the upper stud, and weld or bolt it to the frame mount. My motor doesnt sit too high either, i have a 5" tall air cleaner atop my offy dual port with plenty of room under the hood. My t-case is also dropped 1.5" which raises the front of the engine up.

-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

rockrash View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2009 at 8:28am
The passenger side frame mount from a V-8 Cj is what is needed for the swap. The drivers side
6 cyl. mount can remain. Not a difficult swap. Stick with stock manifolds on the exhaust. There are some in the frame headers for the CJ's but they limit access to the starter etc. as well as clutch linkage.
A Jeep T-5 will not hold up for long behind a V-8. Hell, they weren't very reliable behind a 6 cyl.
Either the Dana 20 or Dana 300 T-case is plenty strong. If you have a T-5 then you are running the Dana-300 already.
The Ford NP-435 transmission will work with the Dana-300 with an adapter from Advanced adapters, and no drive shaft changes would be needed from the T-5/Dana 300 combo. It has a 6.69:1 first gear in it and is incredibly strong. Usually it is driven like a 3 speed with a granny low first. I use this set up in my 73 Commando Bullnose.
Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic